Thursday 30 December 2010

An unexpected accolade

Thanks to Simon McGrath, Lib Dem member and the man behind the 'Vote Clegg, Get Clegg' Facebook page who has today awarded me 'Grassroots Campaigner Of The Year' in his Lib Dem Awards 2010. He writes:
'The winner here is someone I have mentioned before Daisy Benson. She was the candidate in Reading West at the election where she increase the vote by 4.3%. Reading West was one of the constituencies the papers were saying we might take at the height of Cleggmania and if you are candidate however much you know it won’t happen you always have a bit of hope. Despite the disappointment she has carried on as a local councillor and is Lead Member for Housing, Health and Community Care on Reading Borough Council. She just keeps on working for her constituents and for Liberalism.'
I don't know Simon well but it is really nice to know I have supporters not just in Reading but elsewhere. Speaking personally 2010 was an amazing year for me politically and not one I'll forget in a hurry. I loved standing for Parliament as Lib Dem candidate for Reading West and I was delighted to be re-elected as a councillor on the same day with an increased majority.
Becoming a Lead Councillor has been a fascinating, engrossing, and at times stressful experience but I will never take the support local people have given me for granted. I will continue to strive every day to do my best by the them. It has been great to have a break over Christmas after a very hectic few months but I am really looking forward to getting back on the campaign trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment