Thursday 21 April 2011

Campaigning to Cut Crime on Northumberland Avenue

Get Reading has reported on the ongoing problems faced by residents living on Northumberland Avenue, and my campaign to get action taken to make the neighbourhood safer and more pleasant for people who live there.Northumberland Avenue is a residential street divided between several wards, including my own so I feel responsible for looking out for people who live and visit the area. I attended a public meeting at the South Reading Youth & Community Centre on Northumberland Avenue a few weeks ago where serious concerns were expressed by local residents - in particular about alcohol-related disorder.
Following the meeting I have been actively pursuing several of the issues local people raised as I was not satisfied with the Police response. I visited Northumberland Avenue last weekend to meet a resident affected and witnessed street-drinking and rowdy behaviour taking place in the middle of day. This is completely unacceptable in a residential area with homes, schools, shops and community centres nearby. Parents have also contacted me concerned that the problems will deter children and families from visiting Sure Start Whitley which is also based in the area.
I will be meeting soon with senior Police and Council officers to see what can be done to reduce anti-social behaviour in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment